Sunday 27 May 2012

Change in Routine - From Sat 26th May 2012

Each weekend I review my routine and see if needs any change.  I don't like to change too much at once, because I can't then focus in on what is working well etc...  Because I aim to keep my routine to less than an hour, instead of adding more material, I adjust current material to give more of a workout.  The important thing to note here, is that I do this very gradually.  I also want to note that we are preparing for Whit Friday this week (Friday 1st June) which is the annual Brass Band Night of the year for the entire country!  I will add a post about Whit Friday after the event to let you know the full feeling and what it is all about.

My routine this week...

WARM-UP:

1. CG Breathing:

  • Preliminary Exercise: CG 5-5 x10
  • CG 5-5-5-5 (as previous weeks)
2. CG Long Holds + 5 + 5 Notes:
  • Low C, B, B-flat, B and C then two octave arpeggio down from Low C to double pedal C, then B, B-flat, B and C (holding double pedal C)
  • Then in B-flat and G
  • Middle F, E, E-flat, E and F then three octaves down from middle F to triple pedal C, then E, E-flat, E and F (holding triple pedal F)
  • Then in E-flat and C (down to triple pedal C)
  • The extra notes at the top help to establish a full sound before moving down to the pedal register and help to connect the registers better
3. CG Upward Two Octave Arpeggios + 5 Notes:

  • Two octave arpeggio (tongued, minims) from pedal C to middle C, slurring to C#, D, C# and pause on C
  • Then E-flat, F and G, then each key as high as possible
  • Again, this focusses on connecting the registers
MAINTENANCE:

1. Lip Flexibility
  • Earl D Irons Group 9
  • Earl D Irons Group 12
2. Clarke Second Study
  • Slurred, single tongued, 'k' tongued and double tongued, starting on:
    • Low G, Bb, Db, E, mid-G, Bb, Dd and E [+ upper G] --OR--
    • Low Ab, B, D, F, mid-Ab, B, D and F [+ upper Ab] --OR--
    • Low A, C, Eb, mid-F#, A, C, Eb and F# [+ upper A]
  • Followed by two octave G dominant seventh from low G to upper G, slurred and then double tongued, then triple tongued, as fast as possible, two (or three) notes per pitch
REPERTOIRE:
  • Work on pieces that need it (preparation for the English Nationals and ofcourse Whit Friday)!
WARM-DOWN:
  • Three octave arpeggio down from low C to triple pedal C
  • Then in each key down as low as possible (usual to G)
The only thing that I have changed is the warm-up.  I am also working at doing more breathing exercises this week, because I slacked a little at this last week.

As an aside note, I want to point out what I do on rehearsal and performance days.  I don't do any of the Maintenance or Repertoire work on these days because, ultimately, I want to sound as fresh as I can.  I warm-up in the same way and warm-down in the same way.  I sometimes spend more time on the breathing throughout the day, which is a good workout in itself.

For example, this week I have band rehearsal on Monday and Wednesday (which is typical) and I also have Whit Friday on Friday (as I mentioned above).  So Saturday to Friday will go like this:
  • Saturday - Full Routine (c.1 hour)
  • Sunday - Full Routine (c.1 hour)
  • Monday - Warm-up; Rehearsal; Warm-down
  • Tuesday - Full Routine and some private teaching (c.1 hour+)
  • Wednesday - Warm-up; Rehearsal; Warm-down
  • Thursday - Full Routine (c.1 hour)
  • Friday - Warm-up; Whit Friday; Warm-down (hopefully!)
I will review this next week and let you know if it panned out how I have planned!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment